Since 2016, the Housing Not Handcuffs Campaign has been supporting efforts at the federal, state, and local levels to #DefundThePolice and invest resources into the human right to housing. Now, it is more important than ever to understand what efforts are being made at the federal level through funding and legislation that can help housing, homelessness, and social and racial justice advocates achieve a world where housing, not handcuffs, is the norm.
Join us Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 2:00 PM ET / 11:00 AM PT to hear Rep. Pramila Jayapal highlight her recently-introduced Housing Is A Human Right Act, as well as other efforts to lay the basis for shifting resource allocation from law enforcement to housing and social services.
The webinar will also share how the CARES Act can be used to help get people off the streets and into housing, rather than jail cells, as well as other forthcoming legislation people need to be aware of to help push the efforts for housing and racial justice further.
This webinar will feature:
- Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA 7th District)
- Ann Oliva, Senior Fellow, Center for Budget and Policy Priorities
- Francine Friedman, Senior Policy Counsel, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Christina Barone, Public Policy Specialist, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- Cathy Alderman, Vice President of Communications and Public Policy, Colorado Coalition for the Homeless
- Eric Tars, Legal Director, National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty
To view previous webinars and see planned ones, please visit nlchp.org/resources/webinars/. Even if you cannot attend at the broadcast time, if you register you will automatically receive a link to the recorded version.
This biweekly webinar series will share the actions and legal strategies needed to ensure a right to housing both during the COVID-19 and moving forward. Keep an eye out for future themes and speakers!