DeKalb Small Business Startup Accelerator
IS ENTREPRENEURSHIP RIGHT FOR YOU?
Starting your own business can be an exciting and rewarding experience. Advantages include being your own boss, setting your own schedule and making a living doing something you enjoy. BUT, becoming a successful entrepreneur requires thorough planning, creativity and hard work.
This workshop is designed for people who are thinking about starting their own business or are in the early stages of growing their business.
Topics covered (at a high level) include:
- Self-assessment tools to help you evaluate how you will address the challenges and opportunities of entrepreneurship
- Market analysis – Customers, Cost and Competition
- The role and impact of a business plan
- Legal considerations including business structure, registering your business, business licenses and permits
- Business financials including financing and taxes
- Resources available to help you
Spring 2020 Start-Up Accelerator program begins on February 13th.
- Interested in entrepreneurship?
- Want to turn your hobby into a hustle?
- Have a great idea but not sure where to start?
We invite you to register for the DeKalb Small Business Micro-Enterprise Start-Up Accelerator, a 10-week training, coaching and business plan development program.
Register now in this proven training program. Successful and experienced professionals will teach you the practical skills you must have to create the best foundation for launching your business.
Join the Community Development Dept. & Urban League at one of our scheduled Info Sessions to learn more about the upcoming Start Up Accelerator programs for aspiring small business owners. This Info Session is designed to provide an overview of the program, answer frequently asked questions and introduce the facilitator to prospective participants.
Spring 2020 Info Sessions
The Eligibility Requirements
DeKalb Small Business Micro-Enterprise Program will serve small businesses whose owners live in and/or have a business is located in DeKalb County by providing access to training, coaching and support services designed to support business development, growth and expansion.
- Owners of a commercial enterprise that has been in existence for less than two years located in DeKalb County
- Small business owner or aspiring entrepreneur that lives in DeKalb County.
- Five or fewer employees
NOTE: The DeKalb Small Business Micro-Enterprise Programs (DSBMEP) are funded using The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) proceeds. The expressed purpose of these programs is to support HUD’s third overarching goal – To expand economic opportunities which principally benefit low-to-moderate income persons.
Please be advised that HUD requires income and residence verification be collected and maintained on file as a condition of participating in the DeKalb Small Business Micro-Enterprise Programs. Income is not used to determine acceptance into the program, however, HUD requires that we capture income and residency information. This information will be collected prior to approval into the program.
Benefits of the program
- Learn how to refine your business concept or idea.
- Determine the market and feasibility of your venture.
- Develop a Basic Business Plan for your venture
- Define and evaluate the products and.or services you plan to sell and if there is a market.
- Determine your target customers and develop a marketing strategy and plan.
- Learn how to price your product and services.
- understand the basics of small business formation, management, planning and financials.
- Determine how much money will be needed to start and sustain the business.
- Identify sources of capital.
- How to use technology and social media to grow your business
Frequently Asked Questions
The only way someone who does not live in DeKalb County could participate in the DeKalb Small Business Start Up Accelerator is if they have already started a business in DeKalb County. This program is specifically for residents of DeKalb County OR owners of businesses located in DeKalb County with businesses less than 2 years old.
As stated previously, there is not an income limit for acceptance into the program, however, HUD requires that we capture and maintain income and residency information on file.
One piece of Income and Residency verification from each list must be submitted 10 days PRIOR to the first day of class
Acceptable documents for Income Verification
- Paystub less than 90 days old
- 2019 W2
- First page of 2019 Tax Return
Â Acceptable documents for Residence Verification
- Valid Drivers License or State issued ID
- Valid Vehicle Registration
- Utility Bill
- Mortgage Statement or Lease Agreement
One form from EACH list must be scanned and emailed to email@example.com. Approval and acceptance into the Accelerator will be based on completed application and submission of income and residency verification.
Admission decisions will be made in priority order of receipt of a COMPLETED application- which includes income and residency verification documentation. Acceptance notifications will be sent via email five days prior to the start of class.
If you are declined admission for any reason the $49 application fee will be completely refunded.
Life happens and we understand that planned (and sometimes unplanned) events come up and may conflict with one of the DSBMEP classes. Notes, powerpoint and all reading material will be made available to all participants within 48 hours of class.
We believe that you can miss up to 2 classes and still be able to follow along and complete a well-assembled business plan. If your current schedule requires that you may have to miss three (3) or more classes, then we strongly suggest you wait until the next class is offered.
The Start-Up Program is limited to 20 companies. Registration will be processed in the order in which a complete application is received. Registration will close once all 20 slots have been filled with eligible companies.
The objective of the Information Session is to provide prospective participants with detailed information on the Start-Up Accelerator program including details about the classes, coaching, training, and access to small business services. However, should you have additional questions please email Erica Bracey, Special Programs Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org