The Urban League of Greater Atlanta stands proudly on its platform for economic empowerment, because we’ve seen firsthand, over more than 90 years, that it empowers communities and changes lives. We have seen:
But, don’t take our word for it!
Empowering Success Stories!
Workforce Success Story
- RA, 49 yr old, African-American Male, Food Stamp Recipient; Felon convicted for possession of cocaine and obstruction of justice.
- Enrolled in the AUL’s Transitional Program and successfully completed the Assessment, Job Readiness, Life Skills, Counseling and Job Placement components of the program.
- Hired by Hope Atlanta Programs of Travelers Aid as a Peer Specialist, responsible for assisting Homeless clients to become self-sufficient.
- Full Time Position, Starting Salary $28K with benefits. Health and Life Insurance, Personal Time Off (PTO), Travel Privileges with Air Tran
- Continuous employment for more than 6 months.
Housing Success Story
- A couple had a sub-prime loan with a Bank located in Cordele, GA. The interest rate was 16% on a 36-month ballon payment.
- The couple was 6 months delinquent due to the loss of household income as a result of the husband losing his job.
- Sharron Kelly, Director of Housing contacted the bank after reviewing the loan documents in which she found several inconsistencies as far as the loan balance and the property address. Sharron informed the Bank that the cas would be referred to the US Department of Banking and Finance for investigation which is normal procedure for sub-prime predatory loans.
- Outcome: The bank immediately agreed to reduce the interest rate to 6%, reduced his principal balance by $50,000.00 and re-amortized his loan for a 30-year fixed product.
- This allowed the couple to remain in their home with a reduced affordable monthly payment.
TEC Success Story
- Enrolled in the TEC Small Business Essentials Training Program and took seven courses that included Marketing, Financing the Business and Accounting and Taxes. She also received business coaching from TEC Consultant Terry Sullivan who helped her develop her marketing plan and materials, plan her Grand Opening and develop her pricing structure.
- The launch of her dream location: The Parlor Retreat in the historic district of Jonesboro, GA. Celebrated 1 year in business in July 2010.
- The Parlor Retreat features not only exclusive salon services and a private relaxation suite, but also offers services designed to support the Mind, Body & Spirit of her patrons, her protegees, and the surrounding community.
- In her words…”I wouldn’t have been able to be as successful if it were not for the classes I took at the Atlanta Urban League and the help I received from my coach Terry Sullivan”.
Project Ready: A College Access Program
- A 19 year old 12th grader at Crim Open Campus High School has turned his life around and credits the turnaround in part to the Atlanta Urban League’s Project Ready Program.
- Living in a group home and on probation for a youth offense, this young man has participated in the ACT/SAT prep, career and college prep sessions and has been accepted to Fort Valley State University.
- He participated consistently in the program through the Summer Academy exhibiting a positive attitude and serving as a team leader for the service learning project at Hosea Feed the Hungry.